|about : |
An international art organization formed in Anchorage, Alaska in 1999 by artists Sarah Lindisfarne, Zephyr Quiettus, Joelle Howald, Isaac Boatright, Nathan Shafer and F. Austin Love. Based on the concept of memes as ridable happenstances.
Major works include:
Chronological Biography by Order of Digression, or the Evolutionary Model of the Meme-Rider Media Team by Stricture of Punctuated Equilibrium Model:
- * Insatiable Entropy: Throw Off the Yoke of Automation
- * Fauster & Fauster
- * Oucryopo: A Workshop for Potential Cryonics
- * The Walt Disney Frieze: A Phantasmagoria for Mellifico and Hermicola
- * Cracker Fortress
- * Enter Starbreath
- * WZMB (Radio Zombie)
- * the (x) mass projects
- * Cucurbit Mosaic
- * The Gastronomics of Cryptozoophagy
- * Sit-Com Memetics
- * The Protoplasm Dossier (To Hairy Kites, Whenever)
- * Adventures and Exploits in Meme-Scouting
- * Code Doom: The Co-Ed Order of Mavens
- * Fort in Three Parts
All former collectives brought under auspices of M.R.M.T. All collective work done by issue of secret society and research groups, such as the Co-Ed Order of Meme-Scouts and the Lindisfarne and Gabstein Research Expedition for research at the North Pole.
- * 1992 Societas Heterodox, Fayetteville, North Carolina
- * 1993 Dogma I Laboratories, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- * 1999 Manifest Infinity Life Extension Foundation, Anchorage, Alaska
- * 2000 Meme-Rider Media Team, Anchorage, Alaska
- * 2001 Relocation of Meme-Rider Media Team to be simultaneously in Eugene, Oregon and Tampa, Florida semi-permanently.
A Transitional Manifesto During the Change-Over, as e-mailed 2000.
MANIFEST INFINITY Presents The MEME-RIDER MEDIA TEAM
Memes live thru us. It is our energy which stores and transmits them. What do we get for our trouble?
The Intricate Redundancies of Tautological Solipsism.
And after that, we die. The syntax which allows us to host memes is the same syntax which chains us to our self-reflection, which enslaves us by giving us a fake self -- a memeplex -- and tricking us into defending it as if it were us, our life. We die for it, without ever seeing it for what it is: an installation. An installation which serves memes.
THE MIND IS A FOREIGN INSTALLATION
Who has installed these memes? Who, or what, is the perpendicular force which governs our society?
The MEME-RIDER MEDIA TEAM is a group which explores the possibilities of evolving beyond the 'meme-hosting syntax,' or 'consensual reality.'
As meme-riders, we look at memes as a challenge. They are like bulls, which we try to ride for 7 seconds. Can they throw us off and maul us? Can we tame them? Letís find out! Either option is infinitely more fun than being their vehicles, their slaves.
What can it mean, ridin' a meme?
Traditionally, memes ride us. They provide direction and we provide effort, awareness, time and energy. Meme-riders ride memes. The memes supply the raw force, the time, the awareness and energy. The meme-riders supply the direction.
Can memes takes us anywhere that is worth going? Can they takes us off the farm? How do they die?
WHAT ARE WE WITHOUT MEMES? WHAT NEW DREAMS AWAIT?
"walt disney frieze"